Rules for Stealing Someone Else's Work.

4.11.2006

Just the other day, Herman and I were having a conversation about the role of influence in design (it was a good conversation). I know that it's a necessary part of the creative process for me. I enjoy looking at what other designers, especially ones I admire, are doing, how they're doing it, etc.

That being said, I've never outright stole someone else's design. That's just wrong. And lazy. And stupid. Really.

This whole thing wouldn't be noteworthy, except that I walked into my Type II class today, and saw that someone had stole a design of mine. Yeah. How do I know she stole it? Simple: we had Type I together. And the design that she stole was one that I had made for that class...that we had together.

Now, it's not a great design, but my professor liked it, and I worked really hard on it (that's it below. It's a hand painted poster - 34" x 50"), and quite frankly, I liked it. I also know that I'm probably not the first person to ever execute this idea, and I wouldn't have minded if this girl was like, "wow. Good idea. How can rework it and use it as an influence?"

I'm actually not angry about it, more, well, curious really.

For one thing: We're in Type II together. Did she not think that I would notice?

Secondly, she didn't even try to hide it. For this project, we're each given a typeface to study and design a page for. Her typeface is Didot, which is very similar to Bodoni. But instead of choosing a different letter, or even tilting it differently, or god forbid, placing it differently on the page - it looks just like mine. Except that it says "didot" at the top instead of "bodoni".

Which made me think that there should be some rules about stealing other peoples work:

Rule #1. Make sure you don't have a class with the person whose work you're stealing. It will just make them judge you.

Rule #2. Just don't! Because it's wrong. And lazy. And stupid. And it will just make them judge you.

That's all.



12 comments:

wendy said...

oh no! i wonder if she liked it so much that she subconsciously convinced herself that she actually came up with the design. curious indeed. i guess it's kind of flattering in a twisted way..

julie said...

That's so not cool.

marmotsm said...

hmmm...plagiarism is a very bad thing...

insaknitty said...

I wonder if she reads your blog. I agree that that was in very poor taste... but don't you feel at least a teensy bit flattered? to help you take your mind off of things, I just want to let you know that I just turned my keyboard upside down and shook it, and man, a whole village of crumbs came tumbling out. and I always thought I was such a neat eater...

insaknitty said...

oh no... to add to my previous comment...
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2933

Traci said...

Wow. I just re-read my post. How much of a whiner am I? Gah.

And Susan, I totally saw a Mythbusters about the toilet being cleaner than a tootbrush! Even if said toothbrush is in another room and under a plastic cover thing. I'm taking the "ignorance is bliss" stance on all of this. In which case...I should probably stop watching mythbusters.

Also, I'm trying to imagine what a whole village of crumbs looks like...

gobdol said...

I think you should sue her, it's the American way.

Traci said...

First I'm going to kick her ass.

Then I'm going to sue her.

Slimbolala said...

Have fun with the ass-kicking.

Traci said...

I feel like I'm just not being taken serious around here.

Was it the part about the ass kicking? Was that just too much?

Stupid! Stupid!

jpn said...

I wish I could say 'ass' in my blog... So I'll just swear on yours. Since I'm a little late on the asskicking, do you have some pictures of said ass-kicking? Now I'm just getting carried away.

Traci said...

Josh, you can say all sorts of things here. Mainly because I can't rely on my sense of humor alone (like you) so I have to resort to random cursing.

Well...that is if you can get it by the monitor. Also known as Herman.

45wall design All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger